In this tutorial, we'll show you how to connect Blockspring to Google Analytics and create your first report using Google Analytics and Slack to monitor the performance of your landing pages. You will go through the following three steps:
- Connect Blockspring to Google Analytics
- Set up a Slack bot command to access Google Analytics data
- Run a Landing Page Report from Slack
Step 1: Connect Blockspring to Google Analytics
Go to the Google Analytics Report page on Blockspring. This page gives you step-by-step instructions for connecting your Google Analytics account to Blockspring. When you've finished, you'll see a green colored box indicating that you're ready to continue.
Unlike other integrations like Google Sheets and Excel, you don't have to connect to Slack until after you create a Slack command.
Step 2: Set up a Slack bot command to access Google Analytics data
Now, let's create a Slack command that checks in on how our new landing page is performing, and where the traffic is coming from, using Google Analytics.
Take a look at a video demonstration here:
Step 3: Run a Landing Page Report from SlackAs demonstrated in the video, you can now run the Landing Page report directly from Slack by typing:
/blockspring landing-report start date end date
Here's a completed example:
/blockspring landing-report 2015-11-02 2015-11-09
You've learned how to build your first report to monitor Landing Page performance using Google Analytics and Slack. Now, you can customize this report or create your own, and share it with your team. Here are some ideas on what to do now:
- You can customize your Google Analytics reporting in Slack using dimensions, metrics, filters, segments, and sorting. Try adapting one of your most useful reports for use in Slack - what values make the most sense to let a user choose?
- In addition to setting the dates explicitly, you can also use “Yesterday” or “Today” as inputs. For our command “landing-report”, here’s what it looks like:
/blockspring landing-report 2015-11-02 today
/blockspring landing-report yesterday today
This was our last Google Analytics and Slack tutorial, so go forth and create something great for your team!